<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\0757793856\46blogName\75Orangette\46publishMode\75PUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\46navbarType\75BLACK\46layoutType\75CLASSIC\46searchRoot\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/search\46blogLocale\75en\46v\0752\46homepageUrl\75http://orangette.blogspot.com/\46vt\75-5071095333567389549', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

4.06.2014

That word is eat

June has mastered a new word, and that word is eat.  It’s one of many things I like about her.

 
Because Brandon works most nights, I get up with June most mornings. I have developed a condition that my friend Andrea calls Bionic Mom Hearing, so I sleep with earplugs and a pillow over my head. It’s a sight I think you would enjoy. But she manages to wake me up anyway (MAAA! MAAA!), so I get a bottle of milk from the fridge (prepared the night before, a small gift to my future self), retrieve her from her crib ("UP! UP!"), carry her across the hall to our bed, lie down and listen to her little mouth working at the bottle and feel sentimental for 2.5 minutes before she starts yelling for me to unzip her sleep sack ("OFF! OFF!"), help her climb down from the bed ("DIT DOW!"), and follow her down the hall in search of a book ("BUH! BUHHHH!"). She is a blur of hair.


I struggle to figure out how much to write about her here, or how to write about this weird new parenting gig.  For the first 32 years of my life, I didn’t think I wanted a child; I wasn’t even remotely interested until, very suddenly, I was. And now here I am, in the thick of it, seeing my everyday - and my cooking, because it’s the anchor of my days - through the lens of this very different life. So I’m feeling it out, I guess: how to write now, how to write in a way that Old Me wouldn’t be totally bored and annoyed with, while acknowledging that New Me is... a new me. I like the new me better than the old one, in ways that I never expected: I had no idea I could be so patient! Able to read the same book fifteen times without screaming! Willing to walk around with chewed-up graham cracker smeared on my coat! I also never expected to spend so much time thinking about applesauce, and more to the point, Judy Rodgers’s roasted applesauce.



I’ve written about Zuni Café at least a half-dozen times on this site, which strikes me as a lot for someone who grew up in Oklahoma and lives in Seattle. But because my mother’s twin sister Tina lived near San Francisco, where Zuni is, and because I spent a lot of time at Tina’s house as a kid, a teenager, and in college, I got to eat at Zuni Café a few times in my formative years, and I do think it formed, and informed me. Judy Rodgers’s cooking was simple, seasonal, understated, and somehow also bold, the flavors so spot-on, so confident, that they made a deep impression. In a lot of ways, The Zuni Café Cookbook taught me how to cook. You can imagine then, how thoroughly I had my mind blown out of my head when, four years ago, after I wrote about her polenta, Rodgers (Judy? Can I call her Judy?) sent me an e-mail. (!!!!) She passed away last December, but it makes me happy to know that June will eat in her restaurant someday, and that she’s growing up eating Rodgers’s excellent applesauce.




It’s basically impossible to make anything elaborate for breakfast when June is around. And that’s fine, really, because I was a cold-cereal person long before she showed up. So cold cereal it often is! Or, if I was a superhero the night before and made a batch of oatmeal, we’ll have oatmeal. Or, if I was a superhero a few nights before and made oatmeal, so that I could later be a superhero and make leftover oatmeal muffins, we’ll have leftover oatmeal muffins. And if not, I try to at least make sure there’s applesauce and plain yogurt.

I live in a state of many apples, so, I don’t know, I got into the habit of making applesauce. It feels wrong to buy it at the store when I can get good fruit at the market on Sunday and turn it into applesauce in barely half an hour. For a long time, I used a stovetop method (much like the one in this ancient post), and sometimes I added half a vanilla bean, which I like a lot.  But then Kristen Miglore, the genius behind Food52’s Genius Recipes column, wrote about Judy Rodgers’s roasted applesauce. Like most of Rodgers’s recipes, this one is dead-simple, but all about the details. It’s just apples, sugar, salt, and butter (and maybe apple cider vinegar, though I haven’t needed it yet), and the sugar amount is much lower than other recipes I’ve used, because oven-roasting helps to concentrate the apples’ sweetness. You peel and quarter them, toss them with a tiny bit of sugar and a tinier bit of salt, dot them with butter, and you’re mostly done. (The only tricky part, if you can call it that, is seasoning the apples, because you’ll do it to taste: you might use one teaspoon, or you might use two. As tricky parts go, it’s not tricky.) In the oven, the apples soften and caramelize at their tips, and they also dry out slightly, which I like, because it makes for a pleasingly chunky sauce, one that June can eat with her hands, if that’s how the morning is going.

In any case, making applesauce is one of those brainless tasks that I can do once a week, while having a glass of something after June is in bed and before we are in bed, and the next morning, when I hear her through the earplugs and the pillow and the sleep, I feel good for having done it.

P.S. Seattleites! Listen! Delancey and the Pantry are hosting a Friends of The Seattle Public Library cookbook sale on Saturday, May 3, and Sunday, May 4.  There will be hundreds of cookbooks, priced as low as two bucks, and your support helps the library. Come! And in other news, The Bushwick Book Club has written songs inspired by my first book - I can’t believe I just typed that sentence; AWESOME - and they’ll be performing them at the Royal Room on April 23, at 8:00 pm. See you there?


Judy Rodgers’s Roasted Applesauce
From the Zuni Cafe Cookbook and Kristen Miglore’s Genius Recipes

3 ½ to 4 pounds apples (Rodgers uses crisp eating apples, like Braeburns, Pippins, or Galas; I used Pink Ladies)
Pinch of salt
1 to 2 teaspoons sugar, or to taste
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into slivers
A splash of apple cider vinegar, optional

Preheat the oven to 375 F.

Peel, core, and quarter the apples. Put them in a (ungreased) baking dish just large enough to hold them in a crowded single layer. (I find that a 9x13 dish is perfect.) Toss with a little salt and 1 teaspoon of the sugar. (Unless they are very sweet, in which case you might not need any sugar at all.) If they are tart enough to make you squint, use 2 teaspoons of sugar. Dot the apples with butter, cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake until the apples start to soften, about 15 to 30 minutes. Remove the foil, raise the heat to 500 F, and return the pan to the oven. Leave the apples to dry out and color slightly, about 10 minutes more. When the tips of the apples are golden and the fruit is tender, remove the pan from the oven, and coarsely mash the apples. (You could use a potato masher, but I just use the back of a wooden spoon, and I leave mine very chunky.)  If you like, season the applesauce further with salt and sugar to taste, and then consider a splash of apple cider vinegar to brighten the flavor. (You can try a drop on a spoonful to see if you like it; I haven’t found that my applesauce needs it.)

Yield: about 3 cups of applesauce

75 Comments:

Anonymous Emily M. said...

Ooh, I will definitely be at that cookbook sale, thanks for the heads up! And putting this applesauce on my to-make list for the week. I am afraid I have never really been fond of applesauce, even homemade. But roasted applesauce? That has potential. Hey, it worked with cauliflower!

9:48 PM, April 06, 2014  
Anonymous SeattleDee said...

June is beyond adorable -- oh, and the applesauce sounds simply delicious as well.

10:07 PM, April 06, 2014  
Blogger tori said...

I can't tell you how much this resonated with me- after having Will 8 mths ago, I feel the same- I used to write about escapism and travel- and now, so much of our life is anchored to one spot. Sleep training isn't as riveting as a weekend in Santorini, but it's what's dominating my days (and nights). Nb, I have Delancey pre ordered on ibooks for my iphone for night time reading during feeds/ settling. I can't wait.

10:10 PM, April 06, 2014  
Blogger Liza said...

It never changes, you know. You'll never lose those bionic ears. The apple sauce sounds so simple and amazing...testimony to letting the ingredients speak for themselves.

4:14 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous thatchern said...

I'm guessing June looks just like you did at this age? Great post, as always.

5:34 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Sasha said...

This apple sauce, just like your writing, is so good. About the latter - thank you for sharing this new you and where it picks up from the old you. It is refreshing and insightful and even inspiring to hear your perspective on parenting.

And about the former - I make this same apple sauce but with maple syrup instead of sugar. You should give it a spin one of these days. It is seriously good, which is no surprise considering that maple syrup has always had a crush on apples.

5:45 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Margarita Larrazabal said...

Molly, you are my favorite! I love the way you write and the way you write makes me want to write. Zuni Cafe cookbook was in my Christmas wish list last year, mainly because of the pickled zucchinis and because Olga at Sassy Radish wrote a really nice tribute article about her on her blog. I love Rodgers' instructions and recipes. Everything I have made so far have been great. And honestly, I didn't know I've been making my lentils the wrong way until I made the red wine lentil recipe from her book. My lentils have always been mushy and I thought it was normal and unavoidable... now, I'm never going back to mushy lentils, plump and tender on the verge of popping is the way to go. I am curious about roasted applesauce. I just made a batch last Friday using a crockpot but will definitely be trying the roasted method in the future.
P.S. June is adorable!!!

6:58 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Bérangère Bouffard said...

I read this with a smile on face. I can relate to every word even if my youngest is about to turn 4 in 2 weeks. My husband and I try to remember those little moments. It's a bitter sweet experience to love and nourish little dictators. It's short though so hang in there. I've been reading you for many years and I guess your readers grow with you. I can't speak for all but I love reading about June. About that new stage in your life. We all cross new levels in life and it's nice to hear how others deal with it. As for the apple sauce I have to try this!! My French mother always made me pink apple sauce by leaving the skin on and sometimes adding a bit of vanilla. She used a food mill to make it smooth and I now do the same. It's quite satisfying to eat homemade apple sauce and my babies had their fair share. As a snack or as a full meal with cream of wheat that gets a bit of sugar and cinnamon sprinkled top. How my mother served it.

7:10 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger lucinda smith said...

yes, i can totally relate to your shift in perspective since june's birth. it's fantastic, though, that you have maintained your "former self" while adding this new and very suprising dimention of motherhood. a winning combo and good rolemodel for your sweet little one. ;)

www.currenttempo.com

7:12 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Katherine {eggton} said...

As someone whose bathtub is in no state to be photographed--no no, not ever--I applaud you for taking such a precious picture. The photographs in this post are my new favorite orangette photos for the time being (most likely soon to be overtaken by a forthcoming head of cabbage or a clump of oatmeal, but that's the fun of it, eh?)

7:58 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Kristen said...

I love it! I'm afraid of the cookbook sale though - my shelves runneth over. June reminds me so much of my daughter at that age! A bundle of adorable determination wrapped up in an abundance of curly, dark hair. Mine is 8 1/2 now, so I think it's time she started learning to make applesauce (her priority has been cookies so far). :)

8:16 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous annabel said...

I have cookbooks I would like to donate to this sale. How would I do that?

8:18 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger USIpp said...

I am a roasted applesauce devotee after years of making it on top of the stove! I can't imagine how yummy the addition of butter makes this but I also am happy with an even simpler preparation--apples, a bit of water for the bottom of the pan, a squeeze of lemon juice (depending on the apples) and then a small handful of brown sugar or a glug of maple syrup. YUM.

8:42 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Roasted applesauce sounds great, but wouldn't it work to just cut and core the apples and roast them per the recipe and push the result through a food mill, removing the peels but leaving that rosy color that makes it look so nice when you use the stove-top method and put THAT through a food mill? Peeling is the reason most people DON'T make homemade applesauce.

8:45 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Margie said...

I gift to my future self.

So true. Suddenly it's the little things that make me keep so happy. The fridge/freezer are my best friends because Lord knows my kid needs me to read A Potty for Me and Grandma and Me just one more time. With voices.

8:45 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Bria said...

Beautifully said and well linked. A practical recipe!

8:57 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous kellie said...

Molly, I have several cookbooks I was going to take to SPL this week to donate for their sale; can I just drop them off at Delancey instead?

9:11 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Kacie said...

Love this. I enjoy hearing snippets about your June. Our kids our a huge part of our food stories and I enjoyed reading this one.

Kacie

9:56 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Catherine said...

You are wonderfully restrained when writing about your daughter and am not sure why as she is gorgeous. I like to eat homemade warm applesauce with greek yogurt. I had some last night for dessert. I used some russets I had laying around. Will definitely try the roasted version. I often put lemon juice and a bit of lemon peel in mine.

9:58 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Jessie Voigts said...

I can still hear a wakeup, and our daughter is 11 now. As to this applesauce? Making today. Thank you!

10:04 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Molly said...

Hi, all -

Glad to know I'm not the only one with bionic ears! Ugh.

Sasha, maple syrup sounds AWESOME. I'm getting on that right away...

Anonymous, re: the food mill, YES! Absolutely. I don't know why I never thought of that. Common sense sometimes eludes me. Will get out my food mill next time. Thank you!

Annabel and Kellie, we don't have room at Delancey to take donations, so I've just e-mailed my contact at the Friends of SPL to find out the best way to donate. Sit tight...

10:15 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Sandra said...

How delightful is your writing? THAT delightful. A fab recipe but your writing makes it.

10:38 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Getting on this recipe right now with the addition of fresh rhubarb. Thanks! Kathleen

10:41 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Tara said...

Does it make me a terrible person that sometimes I am not a patient mom? Maybe if I bribe my 2 year old with this apple sauce, he will forgive me for my less patient moments?

10:42 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Shanti said...

HA! This is funny. I sleep with earplugs and a pillow over my head and I can still hear my 10 month old down the hall, no problem. Love your posts about June!

10:54 AM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Ellie said...

Thank you for NOT being one of those mothers who condescends to women w/o children. I think your writing about June is perfect. You write about motherhood as a fascinating new experience but not one that invalidates or belittles all other experiences and that's rare and terrific.

11:18 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Angela Brown said...

Love this post, Molly! I like your honesty about motherhood, and the fact that there was a point in your life when you weren't sure if you wanted children (I'm sort of dealing with similar issues, though it's funny, because a lot of women really just don't talk about it). This looks like a great recipe to bookmark for fall. Really excited about the new book…hoping to make it out for your reading in Brooklyn next month (yah!)!

11:20 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Kelly Halverson said...

The way you are writing about June is perfect. Really, I love your posts more now if that is even possible. You feel like one of the last authentic places to read. I can't wait for your book.

11:32 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Lecia Phinney said...

In my humble opinion, this is your best post ever. All of it. xoxo

11:39 AM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Brittany and Donny said...

Molly, I had to laugh when I read your post because I thought I was the only Mama crazy enough to sleep with earplugs each night. Glad to know I have company!

My son, who is about a week older than June, loves plain yogurt, your French chocolate granola (often without the chocolate) and homemade raspberry sauce for breakfast. The raspberry sauce, which I make by slow cooking frozen raspberries from last summer with a tiny bit of sugar, is my breakfast staple. I' m going to try your applesauce recipe for a change!

12:01 PM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Lindsay-Jean said...

Can completely relate to thinking about Old Me and New Me. I don't mind the acquisition of bionic ears, but I do mind the bionic nose that came with pregnancy and never left. Nice smells -- extra nice! Bad smells -- gag city.

12:02 PM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Denise said...

I am a Grandma who is doing lots of caring for a little girl grandchild and I love your posts! It validates how I feel being a "mom" again and I love the chance to spend time with her and start all over with a little child! Thanks for your writing and recipes. Both are interesting and lovely.

12:54 PM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Jessica said...

Just this morning I questioned how much I should write about my own young daughter on my blog. And here, this afternoon, I realize that I'm not alone in asking this question.

2:00 PM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous Anne said...

Here in Oz we're in the beginnings of autumn which means new season apples and we always go overboard and buy tons more than we need, so thanks for this ... looks like a good way to use some of them up.

5:06 PM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Eleaca Young said...

beautiful. i love your comment about her being a blur of hair. so adorable.

7:01 PM, April 07, 2014  
Blogger Shemma Timney said...

Ach. Sometimes I feel like when I read your posts i spend the whole time thinking,'uhuh me too' and then you go and write about parenthood and again 'uhuh! Me too!' Cheers to you sweetheart.

10:08 PM, April 07, 2014  
Anonymous marisa miller said...

I had my doubts about those muffins but they are the best. I can't believe I spent 20 years not knowing what to do with the leftover oatmeal.

5:17 AM, April 08, 2014  
Anonymous Kate said...

Reading this post was a joy. I am a mere 27 years old, and having a kid sounds eons away, but it's easy to relate to the phenomenon of being a "new me" vs. an "old me" and the surprising things learned about oneself as the conditions of life change. One thing that does not change, for me, is the love of cold apple sauce. Nothing soothes the neglected tummy of a sleep-deprived grad student like good old apple sauce. Except you know, beer. Thanks for writing! And your daughter is adorable.

8:11 AM, April 08, 2014  
Blogger kinsey said...

Honeycrisp apples have ruined all other apples for me. They are simultaneously sweet and tart with, as the name implies, an incredibly crisp bite. I've found them to be perfect for things like apple sangria and apple-cranberry pies. I can't imagine that they would be anything but glorious turned into roasted applesauce, and I'd be willing to bet you could do so without any additional sugar. Thank you, as always, for sharing your food and your life with the rest of us!

8:23 AM, April 08, 2014  
Anonymous Alexis said...

Call me a rebel, but I never peel the apples for applesauce. Slice the apples really thin and then puree with a hand blender, the applesauce turns a lovely shade of pink. I hate peeling apples, but I love applesauce. I think I have to try the roasted apples method now! My daughters are now 9 and 7 (I feel old just typing that)and it's really fun to be able to have civilized dinners at home or in restaurants now. Also it amazes me that they have tried many foods at a young age that I didn't try until I was over 30 and it's great to get them involved in cooking and menu planning (they still dislike grocery shopping however :-) )

9:31 AM, April 08, 2014  
Blogger Shana said...

I've always been a roaster and masher when it comes to applesauce, with maybe a little cider or nothing at all. Must try this more refined formula. Thank you!

10:40 AM, April 08, 2014  
Anonymous michaela said...

in addition to applesauce with yogurt, try stewed frozen fruit. my daughter enjoys it and it makes her happy to eat berries in the winter. agree on the make ahead oatmeal.

12:12 PM, April 08, 2014  
Blogger Molly said...

Annabel and Kellie and anyone else who would like to donate cookbooks for the sale: here's a link to the Friends of SPL website with details on how and where to donate. And thank you!

1:43 PM, April 08, 2014  
Anonymous kellie said...

Thank you, Molly. Also I have been thinking for years I should tell you that while I am a total sucker for food memoirs and read them all the time, the only one I have ever actually cooked from is yours, and I have cooked from it a LOT. It was the book that brought me to Orangette instead of the other way around, and I have enjoyed the archives and recipes ever since. So thank you for that. I'm looking forward to the new book!

4:04 PM, April 08, 2014  
Blogger Therese said...

Reading this with earplugs firmly wedged, fan blasting, and pillow aaaaalmost over my head. It's looking like applesauce tomorrow - thank you. Lucy June will gobble it all.

12:17 AM, April 09, 2014  
Anonymous talley said...

I made this applesauce yesterday afternoon. It is perfect, like eating the apples off the top of a fancy apple tart; sweet, but not cloyingly so and tender, but not too juicy. My 8month old daughter Alice delights in feeding herself and this applesauce is perfect for little fingers. We had it this morning for breakfast and she loved it. Thank you for sharing. Oh, and I used Golden Delicious apples because it's what I had on hand and I can report that they made for a delicious applesauce. And yes to bionic ears, I sleep with a fan right next to my head. My real issue is that I hear phantom baby cries.

1:59 AM, April 09, 2014  
Blogger Elizabeth Forbes said...

I don't have children but I love to hear about other people's, June sounds great and it also amazes me just how different food is now to when I was growing up nearly 50 years ago (yikes!)Must try the apple sauce, I have a habit of cooking it stove top too far and then its a too smooth apple paste.

3:43 AM, April 09, 2014  
Anonymous AC said...

Go June, go!

9:52 AM, April 09, 2014  
Blogger Jillian said...

sounds lovely. Your mornings with your daughter are adorable.

10:13 AM, April 09, 2014  
Blogger Cupcake said...

Ahh, that was me too: I didn’t think I wanted a child; I wasn’t even remotely interested until, very suddenly, I was. And so glad I was!

12:50 PM, April 09, 2014  
Anonymous Jessie Harrold said...

Ahh, I can really relate to this. I feel completely transformed after the birth of my little one as well. And, along with it, my blog has somewhat transformed into a bit of a foodie mama blog; motherhood indeed changes one's writing.

It's nice to be able to get comfy with it, and just let it happen. I, for one, am loving being able to relate to your blog in a different way - as a mother AND a food lover!

1:11 PM, April 09, 2014  
Anonymous Ckipps said...

That hair! What a cutie. And of course roasted apple applesauce. Our family consumes homemade applesauce by the gallon. Can't wait to make.

2:41 PM, April 09, 2014  
Anonymous Kasey said...

I am so glad to read this because I cannot possibly explain how much I relate to you. I find myself writing a lot about N and I often stop and say, "would the pre-baby me roll her eyes?" I hope not. I love the new you as much as I loved reading what the old you wrote :) x

4:34 PM, April 09, 2014  
Anonymous andrea (book-scout) said...

I'm with Lecia. (And I'm taking 'bionic mom ear' to the medical journals. Just you wait.) xo

9:59 PM, April 09, 2014  
Anonymous Jeff @ Cheese-burger.net said...

June is growing up fast. She looks so cute!

10:00 PM, April 09, 2014  
Anonymous KarenMcB said...

Well, I have to congratulate you on that bathtub, Molly. My mother bathed 3-4 of us at a time in one just like that back in the '50s. I LOVED seeing the picture and sent it to my sister and 92-yr-old mother. Haven't seen one of these in forever. Lovely column, lovely daughter.

9:07 AM, April 10, 2014  
Anonymous elise said...

I read this in bed, while nursing my sleep sack wearing 1 yr old <3 we will make applesauce soon!

4:24 AM, April 11, 2014  
Blogger Dana said...

June has joined the fold of your life! And she is so very adorable with that head of curls.

6:00 AM, April 11, 2014  
Anonymous Suzanne Nelson said...

Beautiful post! Lovely photos, June is an angel!
The applesauce recipe is great, I didn't have apple cider vinegar and used some rice vinegar instead, it worked well :)

12:24 PM, April 11, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I made it using the food mill suggestion, not peeling, turned out great. A few squeezes of agave sweetener at the end. Yum!!

10:11 PM, April 13, 2014  
Anonymous clotilde said...

Your morning routine sounds a lot like mine, except my soundtrack goes along the lines of "MAMAN!" and then "LE LAIT!" and then "PAR TERRE!" and then either "VOITURE!" or "OEUF! OEUF!" since he's obsessed with cars and scrambled eggs. :)

7:34 AM, April 14, 2014  
Anonymous Jessica @ www.caretakerskitchen.com said...

Great post. I just started a blog a few months ago and have a ten month old who is always underfoot. It's hard to separate cooking and the baby, but I too am worried that I include more baby than people would like to read about.

12:40 PM, April 14, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do my applesauce in the crock pot. I use a combination of different apples, a sprinkle of lemon juice (about 1 tsp) and a couple of cinnamon sticks. 6 hours on high and then a pass with the emersion blender. Yum.

When my oldest daughter was little she would sit in her high chair and just repeat "eat, eat" until her food magically appeared in front of her. Good times.

4:53 PM, April 17, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Parenting is how our species survives, and children are a wonderful blessing and a gift to the world. Write away about your baby- Nobody could mind. Especially with your gift for writing.

8:16 AM, April 18, 2014  
Anonymous annelies said...

Eat is certainly a good word to learn. Also, if karaoke were to happen during your book tour in the Bay Area, it's good to know what your go-to artist would be. You can never be too prepared.

4:20 PM, April 18, 2014  
Anonymous Aisha said...

Gah you're all making me so impatient! We're still at combinations of ba-ma-ga-ta, otherworldly voice inflexions and guttural sounds that are foreign even to the Arabic we speak. Then again, I know I'll miss this once she starts talking (and I won't be able to pretend I don't understand what she wants ;)

7:50 AM, April 21, 2014  
Anonymous Aisha said...

Your cooking and your writing are so beautifully intertwined with your life, writing about June here just had to happen. That's what makes your blog (and your books) so special. It so happened that my daughter was born a few months after June, so my pregnancy was peppered with posts from your early days of motherhood. In those first few weeks after my daughter was born, I had my little treasure chest of beautiful, honest, heartfelt prose. And I'd sometimes catch my mind wandering, happening upon that chest, opening it up just a crack and taking a fleeting look at its gems. Your writing was and still is precious for me, as I'm sure it is for others. I know it is a difficult question and quite a responsibility to decide what and how to write about your child, what to let others see of her before she can choose what to share with others. But do know that whatever you give in this blog will be respected and valued and loved. Thanks again Molly! (Oh and I thought you'd like to know, Rahma has had your butter-braised radishes and sauteed carrots with onions. That was the first time she liked carrots, she hated the steamed carrots I first gave her)

1:09 PM, April 21, 2014  
Blogger Kelsey said...

Oh I can't wait to try this recipe, my one year old will love this. I love your reflections on motherhood. It is a strange and familiar identity all at once. In the same breath I think, "Wait, I'm a mother?!" but also, "Of course I am." June is such a rad gal, with a very rad mama :)

10:12 PM, April 23, 2014  
Blogger Honoré Bazin said...

She really looks like an angel. Love you babieee.. Great post!! Thanks for sharing. http://www.luluhypermarket.com/GoodLife/get-a-taste-of-mario-batalis-cheesy-stuffed-chicken-zzfod46.html

11:30 PM, April 23, 2014  
Blogger barbara dobson said...

Ok this sounds crazy but I was ordering underpants from the hannah anderson catalog (best children's underwear ever) and the lady working for the catalog told me about you...I ordered your book...loved it and I am so glad to find your blog...trying the applesauce soon for my grands...children have a way of expanding our hearts and minds...it is never the same again. ..but so much better...please write more about your curly topped beauty...she is adorable. ..so glad to find you and now the baby girl too...just gets better.

8:09 PM, April 28, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My apples turned brown while in oven... Lemon juice?

5:58 PM, May 01, 2014  
Anonymous Karen White said...

I love your writing and how I wish I lived near you - the cook book sale would have been brilliant.

1:55 AM, May 08, 2014  
Blogger Rosy Brewer said...

Hi Molly. I have just finished your book "A Homemade Life" and was struck by your talking about first starting your blog. We are both Seattlites, though I have far older than you. I just started a blog less than a year ago and talk about food, too, though I also talk about other things. I thought our writing styles were similar so I wanted to share this post with you because it has some special recipes and I know you believe in sharing.
http://rosythereviewer.blogspot.com/2013/10/a-baby-boomers-food-memories-with.html

Rosy Brewer

4:32 PM, May 14, 2014  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The broom your daughter is holding in the photo...I must have one! May I ask where you bought it?

6:10 PM, June 03, 2014  
Anonymous jackie said...

I've never been a fan of store-bought applesauce. I LOVE this. Thank you for sharing!!!

5:41 PM, October 07, 2014  

Post a Comment

<< Home